Friday, June 12, 2009

Hypothetical interview with C.S. Lewis - on tolerance

Just found this great article:

Hypothetical interview with C.S. Lewis - on tolerance

http://tinyurl.com/m5bsyv

"I believe that we are called to love, not merely tolerate, our neighbors. This includes our neighbors that we especially disagree with. Tolerance, in the proper sense, the Christian sense, means that we love our enemies even. Enemies of the truth, God’s enemies, as well as our own. But this love for them never implies that we pretend that we agree with them. To the contrary, if we believe in absolute truth (as Christianity calls us to), the most loving thing we can do for our enemies is to attempt, with love, to dissuade them from believing their errors. A sentimental tolerance that says, “I’ll let my friends believe whatever makes them happy—its’ none of my business anyway,” is not the kind of love that Christ envisioned when he told his disciples to rebuke those who sinned against them. Every rebuke presupposes an appeal to absolute truth. If I rebuke my neighbor for hurting me, I’m saying that what they did was really wrong, not simply that I didn’t like it. True tolerance means loving people, but it also means loving the truth. It means loving people enough to tell them the truth, even when they don’t wish to hear it."

No comments: